Saturday, October 17, 2015

Derailment Near Willow Lake, SD 3/22/1951

I have two photos in my collection from my grandfather from a derailment in South Dakota in the early 1950's. I am unaware as to whether or not my grandfather was close to these men although I do remember asking him if he remembered this incident. He didn't recall it at the time. 

Some additional information I received on the photos from a reputable source stated that "the engine is the 1477, a Lima-built H-4. By July 1951, it was in the Willmar scrap line. The accident site was also close to Hayti, SD."

The information on the back of one of the photos stated the following.
"Two Willmar men George Welch and Vernel Olson, died as a result of scalding in the Great Northern railroad engine pictured above where it came to rest after tipping over. Derailment of the train consisting of a locomotive, baggage car and a coach, occurred about 3 miles N.E. Willow Lake, South Dakota. The accident was a broken rail. Huron S.D. Mar. 22, 1951."







No comments:

Post a Comment